• Concentrated review of core content • Thousands of practice questions with
• Your complete mobile solution!
Real Nursing Skills • Video demon-
strations of over 200 clinical nursing skills
• Each skill includes Purpose, Preparation, Procedure, Post-Procedure, Expected and Unexpected Outcomes, Documentation and References and Resources
• MyNursingLab provides you with a one-of-a-kind guided learning path. Its proven personalized study plan helps you to synthesize vast amounts of information with an engaging REVIEW, REMEMBER, and APPLY approach. Move from mem- orization to true understanding through application with:
• Even more alternate-item format questions
• More analysis and application level questions that gauge true understanding
• An interactive eText (also avail- able via iPad®) with multimedia resources built right in
• Learning Outcomes • Chapter Review Questions
• Case Studies • Appendices and additional content
• Weblinks • Links to additional nursing resources
Online Student Resources are included with this textbook. Visit http://nursing.pearsonhighered.com for the following assets and activities:
Additional resources available. For more information and purchasing options visit nursing.pearsonhighered.com
Pearson’s Nurse’s Drug Guide • Published annually
to be your current, comprehensive, and clinically rel- evant source for drug information
Wilson • Shannon • Shields
DRUGGUIDE • Clinically relevant interactions with drugs,
food,and herbals • Dosages across the life cycle from neonate
to older adult • New appendix of vaccines! • Complete instructions for IV drug
preparation and administration • Unique glossary of clinical conditions
and their related signs & symptoms • Prototype drugs • Therapeutic classification listed for every
drug for ease of use by clinicians and students alike
Comprehensive • Current • Clinically relevant
Need a mobile reference?
For trial versions of this drug guide and other
references for your mobile device go to www.mynursingapp
New and Unique! • Use this preparation tool to find anima-
tions, videos, images, and other media resources that cross the nursing cur- riculum! Organized by topic and fully searchable by resource type and key word, this easy-to-use platform allows you to:
• Search through the media library of assets
• Upload your own resources • Export to PowerPoint™ or HTML
Use this tool to find and review other unique instructor resources:
Correlation Guide to Nursing Standards • Links learning outcomes of core
textbooks to nursing standards such as the 2010 ANA Scope and Standards of Practice, QSEN Competencies, National Patient Safety Goals, AACN, Essentials of Baccalaureate Education and more!
Pearson Nursing Lecture Series • Highly visual, fully narrated and
animated, these short lectures focus on topics that are tradition- ally difficult to teach and difficult for students to grasp
• All lectures accompanied by case studies and classroom response questions for greater interactivity within even the largest classroom
• Use as lecture tools, remediation material, homework assignments and more!
PEARSON NURSING CLASS PREPARATION RESOURCES
MYTEST AND ONLINE TESTING • Test questions even more accessi-
ble now with both pencil and paper (MyTest) and online delivery options (Online Testing)
• NCLEX®-style questions • All New! Approximately 30% of all
questions are in alternative-item format
• Complete rationales for correct and incorrect answers mapped to learn- ing outcomes
BOOK-SPECIFIC RESOURCES Also available to instructors: • Instructor’s Manual and Resource
Guide organized by learning outcome
• Comprehensive PowerPoint™ presentations integrating lecture notes and images
• Image library • Classroom Response Questions • Online course management sys-
tems complete with instructor tools and student activities
• Proven Results: Pearson’s MyLab/ Mastering platform has helped mil- lions of students
• Provide your students with a one- of-a-kind guided learning path and personalized study plan! An engaging REVIEW, REMEMBER, and APPLY approach moves students from memorization to true understanding through application with:
• Even more alternate-item format questions
• More analysis and application level questions
• An interactive eText (also avail- able via iPad®) with multimedia resources built right in
• Trusted Partner: A network of cus- tomer experience managers and fac- ulty advocates are available to help instructors maximize learning gains with MyNursingLab.
REAL NURSING SIMULATIONS • 25 simulation
scenarios that span the nursing curriculum
• Consistent format includes learning objectives, case flow, set-up instruc- tions, debriefing questions and more!
• Companion online course cartridge with student pre-and post-simulation activities, videos, skill checklists and reflective discussion questions
Effective Leadership and Management in Nursing
Eleanor J. Sullivan, PhD, RN, FAAN
Boston Columbus Indianapolis New York San Francisco Upper Saddle River Amsterdam Cape Town Dubai London Madrid Milan Munich Paris Montréal Toronto
Delhi Mexico City São Paulo Sydney Hong Kong Seoul Singapore Taipei Tokyo
Eleanor J. Sullivan, PhD, RN, FAAN, is the former dean of the University of Kansas School of Nurs- ing, past president of Sigma Theta Tau International, and previous editor of the Journal of Professional Nursing. She has served on the board of directors of the American Association of Colleges of Nursing, testified before the U.S. Senate, served on a National Institutes of Health council, presented papers to international audiences, been quoted in the Chicago Tribune, St. Louis Post-Dispatch, and Rolling Stone Magazine, and named to the “Who’s Who in Health Care” by the Kansas City Business Journal.
She earned nursing degrees from St. Louis Community College, St. Louis University, and Southern Illinois University and holds a PhD from St. Louis University.
Dr. Sullivan is known for her publications in nursing, including this award-winning textbook, Effective Leadership & Management in Nursing, and Becoming Influential: A Guide for Nurses, 2nd edition, from Prentice Hall. Other publica- tions include Creating Nursing’s Future: Issues, Opportunities and Challenges and Nursing Care for Clients with Sub- stance Abuse.
Today, Dr. Sullivan is a mystery writer. Her first three (Twice Dead, Deadly Diversion, and Assumed Dead) feature nurse sleuth Monika Everhardt.
Her latest book, Cover Her Body, A Singular Village Mystery, is the first in a new series of historical mysteries featur- ing a 19th-century midwife and set in the Northern Ohio village of Dr. Sullivan’s ancestors. Dr. Sullivan’s blog posts, found at www.EleanorSullivan.com, reveal the history behind her historical fiction.
Connect with Dr. Sullivan at www.EleanorSullivan.com.
This book is dedicated to my family for their continuing love and support.
Eleanor J. Sullivan
Our heartfelt thanks go out to our colleagues from schools of nursing across the country who have given their time generously to help us create this exciting new edition of our book. We have reaped the benefit of your collective experi- ence as nurses and teachers and have made many improvements due to your efforts. Among those who gave us their encouragement and comments are:
Reviewers Theresa Ameri Part-time/adjunct instructor, Marymount University Arlington, VA
Becky Brown, MSN, RN Full-time instructor, College of Southern Idaho Twin Falls, ID
Candace Burns, PhD, ARNP Professor, University of South Florida College of Nursing Tampa, FL
Sandra Janashak Cadena, PhD, APRN, CNE Professor, University of South Florida Tampa, FL
Margaret Decker Full-time instructor, Binghamton University Binghamton, NY
Denise Eccles, MSN/Ed, RN Professor, Miami Dade College Miami, FL
Barb Gilbert, EdD, MSN, RN, CNE Part-time/adjunct instructor, Excelsior College Albany, NY
Karen Joris, MSN, RN Assistant professor, Lorain County Community College Elyria, OH
Jean M. Klein, PhD, PMHCNS, BC Associate professor, Widener University Chester, PA
Jemimah Mitchell-Levy, MSN, ARNP Professor, Miami Dade College Miami, FL
Rorey Pritchard, EdS, MSN, RN, CNOR Full-time instructor, Chippewa Valley Technical College Eau Claire, WI
Heather Saifman, MSN, RN, CCRN Assistant professor, Nova Southeastern University
Miami Kendall, FL Linda Stone Other Cambridge, MA
Sandra Swearingen Part-time/adjunct instructor, UCF Orlando, FL
Diane Whitehead, EdD, RN, ANEF Department chair, Nova Southeastern University Fort Lauderdale, FL
Leading and managing are essential skills for all nurses in today’s rapidly changing health care arena. New graduates find themselves managing unlicensed assistive personnel, and experienced nurses are managing groups of health care providers from a variety of disciplines and educational lev- els. Declining revenues, increasing costs, demands for safe care, and health care reform legislation mandate that every organization use its resources efficiently.
Nurses today are challenged to manage effectively with fewer resources. Never has the information presented in this textbook been needed more. Effective Leadership & Management in Nursing, eighth edition, can help both stu- dent nurses and those with practice experience acquire the skills needed to ensure success in today’s dynamic health care environment.
Features of the Eighth Edition Effective Leadership & Management in Nursing has made a significant and lasting contribution to the education of nurses and nurse managers in its seven previous editions. Used worldwide, this award-winning textbook is now of- fered in an updated and revised edition to reflect changes in the current health care system and in response to sug- gestions from the book’s users. The eighth edition builds upon the work of previous contributors to provide the most up-to-date and comprehensive learning package for today’s busy students and professionals.
This book has been a success for many reasons. It com- bines practicality with conceptual understanding; is respon- sive to the needs of faculty, nurse managers, and students; and taps the expertise of contributors from a variety of dis- ciplines, especially management professionals whose work has been adapted by nurses for current nursing practice. The expertise of management professors in schools of busi- ness and practicing nurse managers is seldom incorporated into nursing textbooks. This unique approach provides students with invaluable knowledge and skills and sets the book apart from others.
Features new or expanded in the eighth edition include:
• Information about the Patient Protection and Afford- able Care Act
• An emphasis on quality initiatives, including Six Sigma, Lean Six Sigma, and DMAIC
• The use of Magnet-certified hospitals as examples of concepts
• The addition of emotional leadership concepts • The use of social media in management • An emphasis on multicratic leadership and interprofes-
sional relationships • Updated legal and legislative content • Tips on how to deal with disruptive staff behaviors,
including bullying • Guidance on preparing for emergencies and mass
casualty incidents • Information on preventing workplace violence
Student-Friendly Learning Tools Designed with the adult learner in mind, the book focuses on the application of the content presented and offers spe- cific guidelines on how to implement the skills included. To further illustrate and emphasize key points, each chapter in this edition includes these features:
Are you busy and do not have time to handle your assignment? Are you scared that your paper will not make the grade? Do you have responsibilities that may hinder you from turning in your assignment on time? Are you tired and can barely handle your assignment? Are your grades inconsistent?
Whichever your reason is, it is valid! You can get professional academic help from our service at affordable rates. We have a team of professional academic writers who can handle all your assignments.
- Plagiarism free papers
- Timely delivery
- Any deadline
- Skilled, Experienced Native English Writers
- Subject-relevant academic writer
- Adherence to paper instructions
- Ability to tackle bulk assignments
- Reasonable prices
- 24/7 Customer Support
- Get superb grades consistently
Online Academic Help With Different Subjects
Students barely have time to read. We got you! Have your literature essay or book review written without having the hassle of reading the book. You can get your literature paper custom-written for you by our literature specialists.
Do you struggle with finance? No need to torture yourself if finance is not your cup of tea. You can order your finance paper from our academic writing service and get 100% original work from competent finance experts.
While psychology may be an interesting subject, you may lack sufficient time to handle your assignments. Don’t despair; by using our academic writing service, you can be assured of perfect grades. Moreover, your grades will be consistent.
Engineering is quite a demanding subject. Students face a lot of pressure and barely have enough time to do what they love to do. Our academic writing service got you covered! Our engineering specialists follow the paper instructions and ensure timely delivery of the paper.
In the nursing course, you may have difficulties with literature reviews, annotated bibliographies, critical essays, and other assignments. Our nursing assignment writers will offer you professional nursing paper help at low prices.
Truth be told, sociology papers can be quite exhausting. Our academic writing service relieves you of fatigue, pressure, and stress. You can relax and have peace of mind as our academic writers handle your sociology assignment.
We take pride in having some of the best business writers in the industry. Our business writers have a lot of experience in the field. They are reliable, and you can be assured of a high-grade paper. They are able to handle business papers of any subject, length, deadline, and difficulty!
We boast of having some of the most experienced statistics experts in the industry. Our statistics experts have diverse skills, expertise, and knowledge to handle any kind of assignment. They have access to all kinds of software to get your assignment done.
Writing a law essay may prove to be an insurmountable obstacle, especially when you need to know the peculiarities of the legislative framework. Take advantage of our top-notch law specialists and get superb grades and 100% satisfaction.
What discipline/subjects do you deal in?
We have highlighted some of the most popular subjects we handle above. Those are just a tip of the iceberg. We deal in all academic disciplines since our writers are as diverse. They have been drawn from across all disciplines, and orders are assigned to those writers believed to be the best in the field. In a nutshell, there is no task we cannot handle; all you need to do is place your order with us. As long as your instructions are clear, just trust we shall deliver irrespective of the discipline.
Are your writers competent enough to handle my paper?
Our essay writers are graduates with bachelor's, masters, Ph.D., and doctorate degrees in various subjects. The minimum requirement to be an essay writer with our essay writing service is to have a college degree. All our academic writers have a minimum of two years of academic writing. We have a stringent recruitment process to ensure that we get only the most competent essay writers in the industry. We also ensure that the writers are handsomely compensated for their value. The majority of our writers are native English speakers. As such, the fluency of language and grammar is impeccable.
What if I don’t like the paper?
There is a very low likelihood that you won’t like the paper.
- When assigning your order, we match the paper’s discipline with the writer’s field/specialization. Since all our writers are graduates, we match the paper’s subject with the field the writer studied. For instance, if it’s a nursing paper, only a nursing graduate and writer will handle it. Furthermore, all our writers have academic writing experience and top-notch research skills.
- We have a quality assurance that reviews the paper before it gets to you. As such, we ensure that you get a paper that meets the required standard and will most definitely make the grade.
In the event that you don’t like your paper:
- The writer will revise the paper up to your pleasing. You have unlimited revisions. You simply need to highlight what specifically you don’t like about the paper, and the writer will make the amendments. The paper will be revised until you are satisfied. Revisions are free of charge
- We will have a different writer write the paper from scratch.
- Last resort, if the above does not work, we will refund your money.
Will the professor find out I didn’t write the paper myself?
Not at all. All papers are written from scratch. There is no way your tutor or instructor will realize that you did not write the paper yourself. In fact, we recommend using our assignment help services for consistent results.
What if the paper is plagiarized?
We check all papers for plagiarism before we submit them. We use powerful plagiarism checking software such as SafeAssign, LopesWrite, and Turnitin. We also upload the plagiarism report so that you can review it. We understand that plagiarism is academic suicide. We would not take the risk of submitting plagiarized work and jeopardize your academic journey. Furthermore, we do not sell or use prewritten papers, and each paper is written from scratch.
When will I get my paper?
You determine when you get the paper by setting the deadline when placing the order. All papers are delivered within the deadline. We are well aware that we operate in a time-sensitive industry. As such, we have laid out strategies to ensure that the client receives the paper on time and they never miss the deadline. We understand that papers that are submitted late have some points deducted. We do not want you to miss any points due to late submission. We work on beating deadlines by huge margins in order to ensure that you have ample time to review the paper before you submit it.
Will anyone find out that I used your services?
We have a privacy and confidentiality policy that guides our work. We NEVER share any customer information with third parties. Noone will ever know that you used our assignment help services. It’s only between you and us. We are bound by our policies to protect the customer’s identity and information. All your information, such as your names, phone number, email, order information, and so on, are protected. We have robust security systems that ensure that your data is protected. Hacking our systems is close to impossible, and it has never happened.
How our Assignment Help Service Works
You fill all the paper instructions in the order form. Make sure you include all the helpful materials so that our academic writers can deliver the perfect paper. It will also help to eliminate unnecessary revisions.
2. Pay for the order
Proceed to pay for the paper so that it can be assigned to one of our expert academic writers. The paper subject is matched with the writer’s area of specialization.
3. Track the progress
You communicate with the writer and know about the progress of the paper. The client can ask the writer for drafts of the paper. The client can upload extra material and include additional instructions from the lecturer. Receive a paper.
4. Download the paper
The paper is sent to your email and uploaded to your personal account. You also get a plagiarism report attached to your paper.
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET A PERFECT SCORE!!!